The NYS Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team
The NYS Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team contains a combination of representatives from state agencies as well as local agencies and systems. The team was formed with an eye toward cross-systems, statewide representation in an effort to have a broad base of knowledge and experience from which to work.
The NYS Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team is made up of representatives from the following agencies/systems:
- NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision;
- NYS Department of Health;
- NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services;
- NYS DCJS Office of Probation and Correctional Alternatives;
- NYS Office of Children and Family Services;
- NYS Office of Court Administration;
- NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance;
- NYS Office of Victim Services;
- NYS Police;
- Local Crime Victims Program;
- Local Domestic Violence Program;
- Local Division of Probation;
- Local Law Enforcement;
- Local Legal Services;
- Local Prosecutor;
- Local Sexual Assault Services;
- Local Social Services District;
- Court Research and Development; and
- Member of the Judiciary.
The NYS Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team is structured as follows:
- The team conducts 2-4 intensive two-day reviews a year.
- Reviews are held in the community where the fatality occurred, with assistance from local responders.
- Where possible, the team interviews friends, family members and other people close to the individuals involved in the case.