Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence

Information for Professionals

Exit site now     Click this button if you need to leave the page immediately for your safety. Computer use can be monitored and this page will still appear in your web history. To speak to an advocate, call 800-942-6906 or text 844-997-2121.

Victim Rights Notice - Text Version

(From revised Domestic Incident Report DCJS Copyright © 2016 by NYS DCJS) (printer-friendly/pdf)


What the Police Can Do:

What the Courts Can Do:

New York Law States: If you are the victim of domestic violence, you may request that the officer assist in providing for your safety and that of your children, including providing information on how to obtain a temporary order of protection. You may also request that the officer assist you in obtaining your essential personal effects and locating and taking you, or assist in making arrangements to take you, and your children to a safe place within such officer's jurisdiction, including but not limited to a domestic violence program, a family member's or a friend's residence, or a similar place of safety. When the officer's jurisdiction is more than a single county, you may ask the officer to take you or make arrangements to take you and your children to a place of safety in the county where the incident occurred. If you or your children are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that the officer assist you in obtaining such medical treatment. You may request a copy of any incident reports at no cost from the law enforcement agency. You have the right to seek legal counsel of your own choosing and if you proceed in family court and if it is determined that you cannot afford an attorney, one must be appointed to represent you without cost to you. You may ask the district attorney or a law enforcement officer to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to file a petition in the family court when a family offense has been committed against you. You have the right to have your petition and request for an order of protection filed on the same day you appear in court, and such request must be heard that same day or the next day court is in session. Either court may issue an order of protection from conduct constituting a family offense which could include, among other provisions, an order for the respondent or defendant to stay away from you and your children. The family court may also order the payment of temporary child support and award temporary custody of your children. If the family court is not in session, you may seek immediate assistance from the criminal court in obtaining an order of protection. The forms you need to obtain an order of protection are available from the family court and the local criminal court. The resources available in this community for information relating to domestic violence, treatment of injuries, and places of safety and shelters can be accessed by calling the following 800 numbers. Filing a criminal complaint or a family court petition containing allegations that are knowingly false is a crime. (NYS Criminal Procedure Law, Section 530.11 (6))

English and español, Multi-language Accessibility
National Relay Service for Deaf or Hard of Hearing: 711

NEW YORK CITY (all languages)
1-800-621-Hope (4673) or 311

New York City—Criminal Court Information
To obtain court information for other areas of NYS, ask the responding officer for court numbers, consult your phone directory, or call the Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline (1-800-942-6906)

Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE)

Victims may receive information relating to the status and release dates of persons incarcerated in state prison or local jails in New York State.
For more information on this program and how you can register, call
1-888-VINE-4NY (1-888-846-3469) or



Victim notification program which allows domestic violence victims to register to be notified when an Order of Protection has been served