Exit site now Click this button if you need to leave the page immediately for your safety. Computer use can be monitored and this page will still appear in your web history. To speak to an advocate, call 800-942-6906 or text 844-997-2121.
How OPDV Can Help
Resources: Helpful Checklists
Review Checklist: Further On-Scene Investigation: General Checklist for Interviewing
- Interview the victim and/or any witnesses (including all child witnesses), preferably alone and out of the suspects hearing.
- Ask about previous domestic incidents.
- Ask about frequency and severity of previous incidents.
- Take down names, addresses and other relevant information.
- Determine whether the victim and/or any witnesses allege facts that constitute all of the elements of assault or battery.
- Inquire whether the victim and/or any witnesses are willing to sign a statement containing those facts.
- Inquire about past abuse or other crimes to aid in evaluating the accused’s dangerousness.
- Interview children in a manner appropriate to the child’s age.
- Document signs of trauma and any apparent wounds on the child.
- Proceed with the investigation even in the absence of a statement from either a victim and/or any witnesses.