Exit site now Click this button if you need to leave the page immediately for your safety. Computer use can be monitored and this page will still appear in your web history. To speak to an advocate, call 800-942-6906 or text 844-997-2121.
How OPDV Can Help
Resources: Helpful Checklists
Review Checklist: Domestic Incident Follow-Up Investigation Checklist
- Include all information from checklist.
- Note names of all officers at scene & roles they played. Attach all photos, medical reports, other written reports & documents.
- Note need for follow-up investigation.
- Verify inclusion of checklist contents.
- Review reports for patrol office’s requested follow-up investigation.
- Secure and copy 911 tapes and dispatch radio traffic.
- Photograph victim’s injuries 24-72 hours after assault regardless if taken by the reporting officer or not.
- Determine whether processing was completed for all physical evidence seized at the scene.
- Obtain statements from medical staff.
- (Re)interview witnesses.
- (Re)interview medical personnel.
- Contact victim and witnesses about criminal court process and victim rights notification and reparation.
- Make copies of all complaints and incident reports regarding prior police calls to this location or involving same parties.
- Obtain records from police department regarding prior arrests
and convictions for domestic assault/battery and related