Exit site now Click this button if you need to leave the page immediately for your safety. Computer use can be monitored and this page will still appear in your web history. To speak to an advocate, call 800-942-6906 or text 844-997-2121.
How OPDV Can Help
Resources: Helpful Checklists
Review Checklist: On-Scene Investigation and Immediate Follow-up
- Determine location & condition of victim.
- Determine if suspect is at the scene.
- Determine location of and secure weapons used or available.
- Determine if Order of Protection is in effect.
- Distinguish aggressor from victim, especially if both are injured.
- Administer first aid or summon ambulance as needed.
- Determine the location of potential witnesses: complainant, neighbors, children.
- Record any spontaneous statements by the victim.
- Observe for signs of injury to the victim.
- Record physical condition of victim; pulled hair, torn clothing, smeared makeup, other injuries.
- Record emotional condition of the victim.
- Determine relationship of victim to suspect.
- Interview victim, separately from suspect, regarding the incident.
- Interview victim regarding prior history of abuse.
- Offer to transport victim to shelter or to obtain medical care.
- Offer to transport victim to local court to obtain Order of Protection.
- If declined, obtain a waiver from victim.
- Record any spontaneous statements by suspect.
- Record any suspect statements regarding justification for the assault.
- Observe any signs of suspect injury.
- Record physical condition of suspect: abraded hands, clothing, etc.
- Record emotional condition of suspect.
- Record any signs of substance/chemical use.
- Interview suspect regarding incident & factors leading to the assault.
- Interview reporting party.
- Identify names & ages of children present.
- Identify & interview all witnesses separately.
- Record names & addresses of all emergency medical personnel & doctors or nurses as applicable.
- Photograph victim injuries & clothing; Size all clothing with evidentiary value.
- Photograph crime scene; disconnected phone, overturned furniture, holes in walls
- Photograph suspect & any injuries. Obtain medical reports & photographs
- Impound all weapons used & other weapons present.