Image of stacked bills of money.

Financial Assistance

If you've experienced abuse, financial assistance is available.

Office of Victim Services Compensation

The New York State Office of Victim Services provides compensation for out of pocket expenses related to experiencing a crime. 

  • The victim must be an innocent victim of the crime
  • Victims of crime who were physically injured as a result of the crime
  • Victims of crime who are under 18, 60 and over, or disabled, who were not physically injured
  • Certain relatives and dependents, including surviving spouse, child, parent, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, stepparent or person primarily dependent on the victim for support
  • Those who paid for or incurred burial costs for an innocent crime victim
  • Child victims, a child who witnesses a crime, and the child's parent, stepparent, grandparent, guardian, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister
  • Certain victims of unlawful imprisonment or kidnapping
  • Certain stalking victims
  • Victims of terrorist acts outside of the US who are a resident of New York State
  • Victims of frivolous lawsuits brought by a person who committed a crime against the victim

Covered Expenses

The Office of Victims Services offers compensation related to: personal injury, death and loss of essential personal property.

The specific expenses that may covered include:

  • Medical and counseling expenses
  • Loss or damage of essential personal property (up to $500, including $100 for cash)
  • Burial/funeral expenses (up to $6,000)
  • Lost wages or lost support (up to $30,000)
  • Transportation (necessary court appearances for prosecution or to related medical appointments)
  • Occupational/vocational rehabilitation
  • Use of domestic violence shelters
  • Crime scene clean-up (up to $2,500)
  • Good Samaritan property losses (up to $5,000)
  • Moving expenses (up to $2,500)


To apply for compensation, please follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the application form. You can download the form hereget an application from any police station, precinct house, or hospital emergency room; or call the Office of Victims Services at 1-800-247-8035 for assistance.
  2. Once you have filled out the form, send your completed application along with photocopies of:
    • Police reports
    • Insurance cards
    • Receipts for essential personal property
    • Victim's birth certificate
    • Death certificate and funeral contract
    • Itemized medical bills
    • Letters from any insurers denying or authorizing payment for the services listed on this form
    • Proof of age (driver's license, birth certificate etc.)
    • Legal guardianship papers

Specific mailing instructions can be found on the application. 

If you have questions about compensation, speak to a domestic violence advocate or contact The Office of Victim Services

Public Benefits Assistance

If you are a victim of domestic violence and are struggling financially, you can go to your local DSS office for help with a variety of needs.

Some services include:

  • Help getting child support
  • Welfare benefits and cash assistance
  • Food stamps
  • Housing

Find Your Local Department of Social Services Office

How to Get Public Benefits Assistance

Every county has a local DSS office. When you go to your local DSS office, bring several forms of photo ID, like:

  • Your Social Security card
  • Your birth certificate
  • Proof of address, such as a utility bill

If you identify yourself as a victim of domestic violence, you have the right to see the Domestic Violence Liaison (DVL) in the DSS office, and you can request to see the DVL at any time.

If you do not have access to your order of protection or other documentation, or are unable to comply with program requirements because they affect your safety, the DVL can assist you. You do not need an order of protection or any other documents to prove that you are a victim of domestic violence.


There are requirements and programs that you will be asked to participant in. If you are a victim of domestic violence, please let the worker know right away.

You should be given a screening form when you apply for cash assistance. It is important to ask to speak to the Domestic Violence Liaison (DVL) who can assist you with your case and talk about your options.

If you need services but cannot comply with DSS requirements:

  • DSS can provide a waiver. A waiver is a temporary delay from participating in certain assistance program requirements. If you are a victim of domestic violence and participating in those requirements puts you and/or your children at further risk of harm, the Domestic Violence Liaison (DVL) can grant you a waiver from certain program requirements that apply.
  • You can claim good cause. Good cause is a specific circumstance or reason why you cannot comply with DSS participation requirements. If you are a victim of domestic violence you may be able to claim good cause for not complying with Child Support requirements.
New York City Residents

In New York City, temporary assistance is known as public assistance and is provided by the Human Resource Administration (HRA) through “Centers” located in each borough.

For more information about NYC Centers, please contact the HRA Info line at (718) 557-1399.

Financial Management Resources

Agency Name 



Contact Information 

New York State’s Department of Financial Services (DFS) 

File a complaint insurance companies, vacant properties, student loans, mortgages, bail, banking, lending, and other financial services 

New York State 

Call 711 


File a complaint 

Federal Trade Commission 

To file an identity theft complaint, find information on steps to take and to create an identity theft affidavit 

New York State 


(TTY) 866-653-4261 


NYS Attorney General 

Check your credit score, place a fraud alert and dispute report 

New York State 


IRS: Innocent Spouse Relief 

Possible relief of responsibility for paying tax, interest, and penalties if your spouse (or former spouse) improperly reported items or omitted items on your tax return 

New York State 


NYS Department of Taxation Innocent Spousal Relief 


Offers relief from some, or all, of the tax, interest 

New York State 


Credit Agencies 



Access your credit report, check your credit score, Place a fraud alert, Dispute report 

New York State 





Access your credit report, check your credit score, Place a fraud alert, Dispute report 

New York State 




Access your credit report, check your credit score, Place a fraud alert, Dispute report 

New York State 




Access your credit report, check your credit score, Place a fraud alert, Dispute report 

New York State 



Annual Credit Reports 

FREE copies each year from each of the credit bureaus 

New York State 


Financial Guidance 

GreenPath financial wellness 



Debt counseling 

New York State 

(800)-550-1961 /  

InCharge Debt Solutions 


Debt counseling 

New York State 


Change Machine 


Financial counseling debt counseling 

New York State 

(646) 810–4050