If you are unsafe at home…
Reach out to an advocate any time, day or night.
Chat, text and calls are secure and private.
Our chat service is:
- NOT a public chat room and completely confidential
- Secure and private
- Staffed by professionals who can help
- Available 7 days/week, 24 hours per day
We’re here for you. Click below to “Chat” or “Search” for local resources
For Your Safety:
- Call 911 if you are in immediate danger and the police will respond.
- Seek treatment at a hospital emergency department if needed. Hospitals are open and a safe place to go for medical care.
- Add NYS resource info (above) under a fake contact name to avoid suspicion.
- Create a code word for friends and family that will tell them you need help.
- Know the areas in your home with a lock on the door.
- Prepare a go-bag with important documents, medication and extra clothing.
- Tell your family and friends where you will flee if you need to leave urgently.
- Talk with your children about safety so they have a sense of acceptable situations.
- Advocates are available to help you days, evenings and weekends.
Be an Ally:
- Listen without judgment.
- Support their decisions – they made their choices for a reason.
- Remind them that it's not their fault – there is no excuse for abuse.
- Let them know all services are still up and running – 911, shelters, healthcare
- Refer them to the services above – text, chat or call an advocate.
- Help them brainstorm other places they can stay.
- Remind them that they are not alone.
- Build on their strengths – they've survived.
- Talk about their options.
- Ask how you can help and what they need.
- Don't tell them what to do. It’s time they have control over their own life.