Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence

Help Available

Afraid, Isolated, Confused? You are not Alone.

What Help is Available for Victims of Domestic Violence?

Community Corrections

If the abusive person in your relationship is on parole or probation, you can provide a confidential report about the abuser’s behaviors to the parole officer or probation officer. It is helpful to have a domestic violence advocate with you when you are talking to either of the officers.

When you speak with the officer(s), ask them to keep everything you tell them strictly confidential and make it clear that it is very important for you that they do not let your abuser know that the information came from you.

Parole and Probation officers have the power to conduct random, unannounced home visits and office appointments to monitor offenders under their supervision.

Officers can work with you (and advocate on your behalf) to do a random visit for the purpose of trying to "find" the information you provided (i,e. weapons in the home, or offender presence in violation of an Order of Protection, or random drug test if you disclose that the offender is using, etc). If the officer finds the necessary evidence, he/she can file a violation of probation or parole, as applicable, without the need to connect any of the details you may have provided.

Parolees/probationers know from the beginning of their supervision that these random visits will be happening throughout their supervision term, so the abusive person in your relationship may not necessarily tie the violation back to you.

Note: Prior to contacting the parole or probation officer, you may want to contact your local domestic violence program for assistance with a safety plan, because your partner may become more violent after a probation/parole violation.